86’: Late Modifications for Each Sides
Egypt introduced Ramadan Sobhi on for Trezeguet a couple of minutes in the past, and now Russia swaps Fedor Kudryashov for Yury Zhirkov.
84’: Cautious Counters
With Egypt throwing everyone ahead, Russia has had a few counter assault alternatives. However they’re cautiously solely sending one or two gamers, and the assaults largely fizzle out.
83’: Desperation for Egypt
About 10 minutes left for Egypt, who want to attain at the least two, and possibly three, objectives to maintain its hopes of advancing alive.
79’: Each Scorers off for Russia
The opposite Russian goalscorer, Artem Dzyuba, comes off for Fedor Smolov.
74’: Defensive Transfer for Russia
One of many Russian purpose scorers, Denis Cheryshev, comes off for Daler Kuzyayev, a extra defensive midfielder.
72’: GOAL EGYPT!
Mohamed Salah is dragged down within the field by Roman Zobnin whereas going for the ball. He may’ve been exterior the field when first tugged, nevertheless. However after a video evaluation, the referee awards a penalty kick.
Salah takes it, dancing in the direction of the ball earlier than emphatically thumping it into the highest proper nook.
67’: Wasted Likelihood
Egypt’s greatest likelihood of the match, as Trezeguet receives a sq. go and is open on the prime of the field. He tries passing the ball into the underside of the online, however his shot goes simply huge. As if punishment for his shot, Trezeguet makes means for Ramadan Sobhi a minute later.
64’: Change for Egypt
Amr Warda comes on for Mohamed Elneny, nevertheless it’s in all probability too little too late for the Pharoahs, after a brutal 16 minutes noticed Russia rating three objectives.
62’: RUSSIA AGAIN!
Massive Artem Dzyuba (he’s 6’5”) takes down a lob from half subject, dribbles previous an Egyptian defender and slots the ball previous Mohamed El-Shenawy to present Russia a Three-Zero lead.
It was actually a purpose that got here out of nowhere. However once you ship the ball into the mixer and have the tallest participant on the sector, typically good issues occur.
Matthew Futterman: Russia is on its approach to the spherical of 16, the place Portugal or Spain will possible await. That shall be one whale of a match, particularly if Cristiano Ronaldo will get to tackle the house crew.
59’: A SECOND FOR RUSSIA!
Denis Cheryshev will get his third purpose of the match. Mário Fernandes took a go on the nook of the six-yard field and drove to the top line, earlier than reducing the ball again to an open Cheryshev, who wasn’t going to overlook from that shut. Cheryshev’s third purpose attracts him even with Cristiano Ronaldo for the match lead.
57’: Egyptian Probabilities, Lastly
Higher from Egypt, who get a number of harmful crosses into the field. Mo Salah’s shot from shut is blocked out, and Russia is ready to pounce first and clear a unfastened ball on the following nook.
52’: Not So Harmful
Egypt’s response to taking place a purpose has been to surge ahead, however the high quality of their passing is missing.
48’: Personal Purpose’s Inventory Rising
Up to now, Personal Purpose is the striker of the match.
47’: GOAL Russia!
It’s an personal purpose in Russia’s favor! Battling with large Russian ahead Artem Dzyuba within the field, Egyptian proper again Ahmed Fathi half swings on the ball, and it bounces off his leg and previous his personal keeper.
Halftime: Good Little bit of Motion, No Objectives
The 2 sides go into halftime goalless, although not for a scarcity of attempting. Russia is likely to be content material with a draw and some extent, however Egypt will probably push for a purpose and the victory within the second half.
42’: Salah Will get a Look
Marwan Mohsen dummies a go that finds Mo Salah on the prime of the field. He mis-controls the ball however continues to be in a position to take a shot largely dealing with away from the purpose. It goes huge.
Matthew Futterman: There’s nothing just like the second when the star will get the ball in a harmful spot with a single defender to beat. You might really feel 65,000 folks holding their breath on that Salah likelihood on the 18. His shot wasn’t all that shut, nevertheless it was a second.
40’: Simply Pump within the Crosses
Each groups need to discover their large strikers within the field with crosses. Marwan Mohsen of Egypt and Artem Dzyuba of Russia have every gotten their heads on a few balls, however haven’t had a clear take a look at a header.
Matthew Futterman: It’s deafening in right here. I can’t think about what it have to be like for the referee, Enrique Caceres of Paraguay, to officiate a Russia sport in Putin’s Russia. Russia has gotten just a few non-calls up to now. It’s one thing to keep watch over. Referees are all too human.
34’: Salah Threatens
A flick-on header virtually finds Mo Salah on the again put up, however Russia is ready to clear earlier than he will get a foot on the ball. The following nook is wasted.
33’: Calm Earlier than the Storm?
Issues have calmed a bit, with the groups buying and selling possession in midfield. Let’s hope it presages a storm of objectives.
25’: Salah Quiet So Far
Not an excessive amount of involvement from Mo Salah but, although Egyptian gamers have ballooned quite a lot of speculative balls to his aspect of the sector. For Liverpool, Salah tracks again and is a tenacious defender, however for the Pharaohs he appears to be saving his power to assault.
22’: Excessive-High quality Begin
This has been a reasonably enjoyable sport up to now. The groups are evenly matched, possession is cut up, and neither are afraid to commit numbers ahead within the assault.
Matthew Futterman: For all the consideration that Mo Salah will get, Egypt is right here as a result of they stopped giving up objectives by the bundle. They’re a reasonably defensive crew that wants that again line to remain organized. Up to now so good. After Russia’s early flourish, many of the possibilities have been from lengthy vary.
19’: Russia Fires Again
Denis Cheryshev, who scored two objectives in opposition to Saudi Arabia, claims a unfastened ball on the prime of the field and fires a shot at Egypt’s purpose, nevertheless it goes over.
16’: Egypt Has a Go
Egypt’s Trezeguet pops free on the fringe of the Russian field and curls a shot towards purpose. It appeared to beat Russian keeper Igor Akinfeev however was simply huge of the put up.
11’: One-Approach Site visitors
Russia is piling the stress on the Egyptian purpose, however haven’t but had higher than a half-chance.
06’: Two Extra for Russia
Sergey Ignashevich will get a header on purpose, however he’s touring backward and it has no energy. Egypt subsequently gave the ball away in the midst of the sector, however Aleksandr Golovin’s shot from the highest of the realm goes huge.
04’: Early Likelihood for Russia
Egypt controlling extra of the ball early, however the very best likelihood went to Russia, who intercepted a wayward crossfield go and virtually slipped Dzyuba in on purpose.
01’: And We’re Off!
Russia is in crimson, Egypt in white.
All Eyes on El-Shenawy
To carry the Russians to fewer than the 5 objectives they scored in opposition to Saudi Arabia, Egypt shall be counting on goalkeeper Mohamed El-Shenawy, who performs for Al Ahly, Egypt’s greatest home membership. El-Shenawy was named man of the match in opposition to Uruguay, as he coped properly with fixed stress and parried away three photographs.
Russia’s Beginning Lineup
1. Igor Akinfeev
four. Sergey Ignashevich
Three. Ilya Kutepov
18. Yury Zhirkov
2. Mario Fernandes
17. Aleksandr Golovin
11. Roman Zobnin
eight. Iury Gazinsky
22. Artem Dzyuba
6. Denis Cheryshev
19. Aleksandr Samedov
Egypt’s Beginning Lineup
23. Mohamed El-Shenawy
6. Ahmed Hegazi
2. Ali Gabr
13. Mohamed Abdel-Shafy
7. Ahmed Fathi
19. Abdalla Mentioned
eight. Tarek Hamed
17. Mohamed Elneny
9. Marwan Mohsen
10. Mohamed Salah
Russia vs. Egypt High Story Traces
• “Allez allez allez, Mohamed Salah will begin!” Egypt’s talisman was an unused substitute throughout their opening loss in opposition to Uruguay, after struggling a shoulder damage within the Champions League remaining final month. However after seeing his crew lose 1-Zero to the Uruguayans, Egypt Supervisor Héctor Cúper has determined Salah is match sufficient to play 90 minutes.
• With out Salah’s, Egypt’s assault appeared barren in opposition to Uruguay, they usually misplaced 1-Zero. However The Pharoahs virtually escaped with some extent due to courageous goalkeeping by Mohamed El-Shenawy, solely to misplaced on an 89th minute header.
• Cúper, Egypt’s Argentine coach, constructed his status with a safety-first type, however the crew shall be value watching solely due to Salah’s offensive prowess.
• Russian winger Denis Cheryshev made probably the most of his World Cup alternative. Subbing in for the injured Alan Dzagoev within the 24th minute, he promptly scored two of Russia’s objectives in opposition to Egypt.
• Egypt is hoping to change into the second African crew to win a sport at this World Cup, in addition to break a doubtful streak. All three North African groups (Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia) have misplaced on a purpose within the 89th minute or later.
• Saudi Arabia was broadly considered the worst crew within the match, however nonetheless, Russia’s 5-Zero thrashing of them within the opening sport was spectacular. Alexsandr Golovkin was Russia’s maestro within the midfield in opposition to Saudi Arabia, aiding two objectives, offering a hockey help on a 3rd and scoring his personal for good measure.
• Russian midfielder Alan Dzagoev left the match in opposition to Saudi Arabia within the first half clutching his hamstring. He’s been dominated out of the group stage.
Some Pregame Studying
• Atone for how Russia and Egypt carried out of their opening matches.
• In Cairo, Mohamed Salah is all over the place you look.
• The place did you watch Russia’s opening match? At residence? At work? In a bar? Our correspondent watched it from a battle zone in jap Ukraine.
Proceed studying the principle story