DNA Sample Sought in Cristiano Ronaldo Rape Investigation

0
31

Nevada legislation enforcement officers investigating a sexual-assault accusation towards the soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo have obtained a warrant for a pattern of the participant’s DNA, in response to considered one of his legal professionals, who dismissed it as a “very customary request.”

The officers have despatched the warrant to authorities in Italy, in response to The Wall Road Journal, which first reported the existence of the warrant. Ronaldo, a Portuguese wing and five-time world participant of the yr, performs in Italy for the powerhouse membership Juventus.

Investigators are looking for the DNA pattern as a part of a not too long ago reopened investigation into accusations by an American girl, Kathryn Mayorga, who says Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas resort room in 2009 and later paid her $375,0000 for her silence.

“Mr. Ronaldo has all the time maintained, as he does right this moment, that what occurred in Las Vegas in 2009 was consensual in nature, so it isn’t shocking that DNA could be current, nor that the police would make this very customary request as a part of their investigation,” considered one of Ronaldo’s legal professionals, Peter S. Christiansen, mentioned in an announcement Thursday afternoon.

Juventus declined to remark.

Ronaldo and his legal professionals repeatedly denied the claims after they first emerged in October; Ronaldo labeled them “fake news” in a video posted on one of his social media accounts, and at one point his lawyers threatened to sue the German newsmagazine that was the first to publish Mayorga’s accusations.

The magazine, Der Spiegel, said it had obtained confidential documents related to the case, and the purported payment to settle it, from the shadowy whistle-blower platform Football Leaks. Around the same time, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it had reopened its investigation into the alleged rape, following up on information it said had been provided to them by the victim.

A number of the documents Mayorga’s lawyers say support her claim were published by Der Spiegel, which also published a lengthy interview with Mayorga. Ronaldo’s lawyers described the publication of the documents, which included a questionnaire Der Spiegel said detailed events that occurred in a suite at the Palms hotel almost a decade ago, as “blatantly illegal.”

Ronaldo, now 33, was a star at England’s Manchester United when he met Mayorga, now 35, at a Las Vegas nightclub in 2009, just before his record-breaking transfer to Real Madrid. He invited her and others to his suite in the early hours of June 13, 2009, she said.

According to her lawsuit, Mayorga reported the assault to the police later that day and received a medical examination, during which evidence was collected in what is sometimes known as a rape kit. The Las Vegas police have acknowledged that Mayorga filed a report and was examined, but the police said she did not name her attacker at that time. The case was reopened at Mayorga’s request in September.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here