Like so many tales involving the best participant ever born on Christmas, this story could be apocryphal. However as Rickey Henderson tales go, it sounds believable to me.
As I heard it — from my fellow Mets beat writers in 2000, the yr I joined The New York Instances — the Mets determined to have some enjoyable with gamers’ walk-up music in the future in 1999. For a couple of treasured seconds as every hitter strode to the plate, the Shea Stadium loudspeakers would play the No. 1 music within the nation the day that hitter was born.
The inimitable Henderson, then the Mets’ left fielder, was born on Dec. 25, 1958. The No. 1 music that day occurred to be “The Chipmunk Tune (Christmas Don’t Be Late),” a novelty tune by The Chipmunks with David Seville that gained three Grammys with its distinctive falsetto sound. It’s a cute music, however decidedly not one which Henderson — or anybody, actually — would select to observe his title at a significant league ballpark.
Apparently Henderson vented about this to the writers after the sport, utilizing the third particular person — as he beloved to do — whereas insisting that Rickey was no Chipmunks fan and didn’t like cartoon rodents introducing a participant of his stature. Oh, how I want I’d been there to report that little rant for posterity.
Anyway, in honor of Henderson, right here’s our second Christmas baseball trivia quiz, that includes sections on Rickey and two of his many former groups, the Boston Purple Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers, who met within the final World Sequence. There’s additionally a bit on strikeouts, after the primary season in historical past with extra strikeouts than hits, and some different subjects you may take pleasure in.
Final yr’s quiz featured 50 questions in honor of Houston Astros pitcher Charlie Morton, who wore No. 50 whereas successful the 2017 World Sequence clincher. Now we current 50 extra questions in honor of Purple Sox proper fielder Mookie Betts, who homered within the 2018 World Sequence clincher whereas — fairly conveniently — carrying No. 50.
So, Merry Christmas — and, to paraphrase from Dr. Seuss’s “How The Grinch Stole Christmas,” might you puzzle and puzzle ’til your puzzler is sore!
Solutions are beneath the quiz.
Purple Sox trivia
1. Who’re the three gamers depicted with Ted Williams within the “Teammates” statue outdoors of Fenway Park?
2. Carl Yastrzemski performed probably the most video games in Purple Sox historical past, with three,308. Who ranks second, with 2,505?
three. Who’s the Purple Sox profession chief in innings pitched?
four. Who had been the beginning shortstops for every of the final 4 Purple Sox championship groups?
5. Why does the Purple Sox mascot, Wally, put on No. 97?
1. Just one group in main league historical past, the 1977 Dodgers, had 4 teammates with at the very least 30 house runs every. Who had been these sluggers?
2. Kenley Jansen wants eight appearances to change into the Dodgers’ franchise chief in video games pitched. Who holds the report?
three. Who’re the three pitchers who’ve thrown an ideal sport in opposition to the Dodgers (in 1956, 1988 and 1991)?
four. Which Dodgers reliever was the successful pitcher in Sport 1 of the 1988 World Sequence, which ended with Kirk Gibson’s well-known house run? Trace: Three years later, he misplaced Sport 7 of the 1991 World Sequence for Atlanta.
5. Which two Dodgers appeared on “The Brady Bunch”?
1. Who’re the one two pitchers to strike out 300 hitters in a season for the Houston Astros?
2. Reggie Jackson holds the report for strikeouts by a hitter, with 2,597. Which pitcher struck him out probably the most occasions?
a) Nolan Ryan
b) Frank Tanana
c) Jim Palmer
d) Bert Blyleven
three. Who was the one pitcher to strike out Tony Gwynn thrice in a single sport?
a) Bob Welch
b) John Denny
c) John Tudor
d) Mario Soto
four. Randy Johnson and C. C. Sabathia rank first and second in strikeouts amongst left-handed pitchers over the past 35 seasons. Who ranks third?
a) Mark Langston
b) Johan Santana
c) Chuck Finley
d) Cliff Lee
5. The 1968 season is called the “12 months of the Pitcher,” principally due to Bob Gibson’s 1.12 E.R.A. and Denny McLain’s 31 wins. However who led the majors in strikeouts that yr, with 283?
a) Mickey Lolich
b) Luis Tiant
c) Dean Likelihood
d) Sam McDowell
The ultimate groups of New York stars
1. Keith Hernandez:
c) White Sox
2. Hideki Matsui:
three. Graig Nettles:
four. Jesse Orosco:
5. Mike Piazza:
1. Title the one franchise that has by no means performed in a winner-take-all postseason sport.
2. Which group has the longest lively streak of dropping seasons?
three. Title the one franchise that has by no means misplaced greater than 95 video games in a season.
four. In addition to the 1998 growth groups (Arizona and Tampa Bay), which is the one franchise that has performed in just one house ballpark?
5. Which is the one franchise that has by no means had a future Corridor of Famer, even for one sport?
1. Who’re the one three pitchers to throw a no-hitter and lead a league in saves in some unspecified time in the future of their careers? Trace: The no-hitters befell within the 1970s, the 1980s and the 2000s, and all had been within the American League.
2. Who’s the one participant since 1900 to hit 4 house runs in a sport his group misplaced? Trace: He was the primary total decide within the 1978 draft and by no means performed a day within the minors.
three. Who’s the one man to play for each groups within the Los Angeles space (Dodgers and Angels) and the Bay Space (Giants and A’s)? Trace: He gained a World Sequence with the A’s in 1989 and performed for all 4 groups within the 1990s.
four. Who was the primary Corridor of Famer to have had Tommy John surgical procedure? Trace: He’s the one participant ever to have 5 hits in a World Sequence sport.
5. Who holds the report for many hits in a profession (three) with out making an out? Trace: He performed only one sport, in 1963, however his brother performed 18 seasons and made the 1981 All-Star group for Seattle.
1. Just one World Sequence most dear participant has gained the award in opposition to his former group since Darrell Porter did it for St. Louis in opposition to Milwaukee in 1982. Who was it?
a) Dave Stewart
b) Jose Rijo
c) Scott Brosius
d) Edgar Renteria
2. Listed here are the final 5 World Sequence video games to finish with a house run. Who hit the homers?
2001, Sport four (Yankees vs. Diamondbacks)
2003, Sport four (Marlins vs. Yankees)
2005, Sport 2 (White Sox vs. Astros)
2011, Sport 6 (Cardinals vs. Rangers)
2018, Sport three (Dodgers vs. Purple Sox)
three. 9 pitchers began World Sequence video games for Joe Torre’s Yankees, together with Roger Clemens, David Cone, Orlando Hernandez, Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte and David Wells. Are you able to title the three others?
four. Which is the one division to have all of its members seem within the World Sequence through the wild card period (1995 to the current)?
5. Who’s the one catcher within the final 40 years to be behind the plate for the ultimate out of the World Sequence for 2 totally different groups?
a) Bob Boone (Phillies and Royals)
b) Rick Dempsey (Orioles and Dodgers)
c) Ivan Rodriguez (Marlins and Tigers)
d) David Ross (Purple Sox and Cubs)
1. Who’re the 2 lively pitchers who’ve gained the Rookie of the 12 months Award and the Cy Younger Award?
2. Which two Nationwide League groups have by no means had a participant win the M.V.P. Award?
three. Every decade from the 1960s by the 2000s included one A.L. Cy Younger winner with a four-letter final title. Who had been the pitchers?
four. Who’re the one two pitchers in main league historical past to win a number of Cy Younger Awards plus a number of World Sequence titles and to throw a number of no-hitters? (Notice: The Cy Younger Award was first given in 1956.)
5. Who’s the final participant to win an M.V.P. Award in a season when he was over 30 on opening day?
1. Give the primary title for every participant named Johnson:
a) Gained the pitching Triple Crown (league chief in wins, E.R.A., strikeouts) in 1913, 1918 and 1924
b) The one participant in Angels historical past to win a batting title, at .329 in 1970
c) Holds Mets’ single-season report for hits, with 227 in 1996
d) Utility man who performed for each group within the A.L. East from 2011 to 2014
2. Give the primary title for every participant named Martinez:
a) As Padres left fielder, he fielded Pete Rose’s record-breaking four,192nd hit in 1985
b) Made the final out of Sport 7 of 2016 World Sequence for the Indians
c) Picked off three runners in a single inning because the Orioles nearer in 1983
d) First participant to hit a homer at Marlins Park, for the Astros in 2012
three. Give the primary title for every participant named Roberts:
a) Final batter on the outdated Yankee Stadium, for the Orioles in 2008
b) Broke up Pedro Martinez’s excellent sport with a 10th-inning double for the Padres in 1995
c) Allowed 505 profession homers, second to Jamie Moyer
d) No. 1 total decide by the Padres in 1972 draft
four. Give the primary title for every participant named Rodriguez:
a) Made the final out of the final excellent sport in M.L.B. (by Felix Hernandez in 2012)
b) Earned 5 victories in aid within the 2002 postseason
c) Tigers infielder of the ’70s who had all 5 vowels in his first title
d) Beginning pitcher for the Purple Sox in Sport four of the 2018 World Sequence
5. Give the primary title for every participant named Younger:
a) No. 1 total decide by Tampa Bay within the 2003 draft
b) Misplaced 27 consecutive choices for the Mets
c) Hit a leadoff homer within the first main league sport performed in Denver
d) Threw an eight-inning, complete-game no-hitter for the Purple Sox in 1992 (misplaced, 2-1)
1. Henderson led the A.L. in stolen bases yearly from 1980 by 1991 — apart from 1987, when he performed solely 95 video games. Who led the A.L. that season?
2. Henderson performed for 9 groups: the Athletics, the Yankees, the Blue Jays, the Padres, the Angels, the Mets, the Mariners, the Purple Sox and the Dodgers. For which group did he have the very best cumulative batting common (.298)?
three. In 1993, Henderson scored the go-ahead (and ultimate) run of the highest-scoring sport in World Sequence historical past, a 15-14 Blue Jays win in Philadelphia in Sport four. Who tripled to drive him in?
four. How did Henderson have fun when he set the main league report for runs scored with a homer on Oct. four, 2001?
5. Henderson set a single-season stolen base report with 130 in 1982. What number of groups had at the very least 130 stolen bases in 2018?
Purple Sox trivia
1. Dom DiMaggio, Bobby Doerr and Johnny Pesky
2. Dwight Evans
three. Tim Wakefield
four. Orlando Cabrera, Julio Lugo, Stephen Drew, Xander Bogaerts
5. He was created in 1997.
1. Dusty Baker, Ron Cey, Steve Garvey and Reggie Smith
2. Don Sutton
three. Don Larsen, Tom Browning and Dennis Martinez
four. Alejandro Pena
5. Don Drysdale and Wes Parker
1. J. R. Richard and Mike Scott
2. d) Bert Blyleven
three. a) Bob Welch
four. c) Chuck Finley
5. d) Sam McDowell
The ultimate groups of New York stars
1. b) Indians
2. a) Rays
three. b) Expos
four. d) Twins
5. c) Athletics
1. White Sox
2. Marlins, with 9
1. Dennis Eckersley, Dave Righetti, Derek Lowe
2. Bob Horner
three. Stan Javier
four. Paul Molitor
5. John Paciorek
1. b) Jose Rijo
2. 2001, Sport four: Derek Jeter; 2003, Sport four: Alex Gonzalez; 2005, Sport 2: Scott Podsednik; 2011, Sport 6: David Freese; 2018, Sport three: Max Muncy
three. Jimmy Key, Kenny Rogers and Denny Neagle
four. Nationwide League West
5. Rick Dempsey (Orioles and Dodgers)
1. Justin Verlander and Jacob deGrom
2. Mets and Diamondbacks
three. 1960s: Whitey Ford; 1970s: Vida Blue; 1980s: Lamarr Hoyt; 1990s: David Cone; 2000s: Barry Zito
four. Sandy Koufax and Tim Lincecum
5. Alex Rodriguez in 2007
1. a) Walter; b) Alex; c) Lance; d) Kelly
2. a) Carmelo; b) Michael; c) Tippy; d) J.D.
three. a) Brian; b) Bip; c) Robin; d) Dave
four. a) Sean; b) Francisco; c) Aurelio; d) Eduardo
5. a) Delmon; b) Anthony; c) Eric; d) Matt
1. Harold Reynolds
three. Devon White
four. Slid into house
5. One — the Cleveland Indians